How You Can Be Notified
Duke has multiple modes of communication to notify students, faculty, staff and visitors of incidents and issues that may pose a threat or safety concern. The types of notification methods will depend on the unique circumstances involved and the actions required of the community.
In the event of an emergency impact Duke's campus, you can be notified through the following methods:
- Email – If the DukeALERT system is activated, students, faculty, and staff can receive a DukeALERT message by email.
- Text Messaging – If the DukeALERT system is activated, students, faculty, and staff who have provided phone numbers in Duke@Work or DukeHub can receive text message alerts. To register, follow these instructions. International numbers can be registered.
- Outdoor Warning System – For some DukeAlerts, an alert tone may be broadcast on campus using our outdoor siren system. If you hear this alert, immediately seek shelter and check for a DukeALERT with further instructions. You will not hear this system indoors.
- Web – The DukeALERT website will always have the most updated information on emergencies affecting the Duke community. Furthermore, many Duke websites have an “alert bar” feature that allows emergency information to be displayed. Duke units and departments that would like to incorporate the alert web bar on their sites can follow the instructions developed by Duke Web Services to do so (NetID login required).
- Campus Digital Signboards – Duke’s campus has digital signboards located at major indoor and outdoor locations. DukeALERT messages are displayed on these boards when there is an active emergency.
- LiveSafe Mobile App – The LiveSafe Mobile app is used as an adjunct to the DukeALERT system to notify app users of emergencies on Duke’s campus. LiveSafe is a free mobile app that offers real-time, two-way communication between Duke community members and the Duke University Police Department.
- Phone – For severe weather emergencies, recorded information will be available at 919-684-INFO (4636), Duke’s emergency and severe weather line.
- In-Person Notification – In the event of an emergency, Duke Police and other University staff may directly notify individuals and give instructions about actions to take.