Duke has numerous departments and teams that respond to emergencies that affect Duke University.
- The Duke University Police Department responds to all reports of crime and public safety emergencies on Duke’s main campus and at Duke Hospital. Additionally, security officers contracted by Duke Police respond to public safety emergencies at Duke Regional Hospital and Duke Raleigh Hospital, alongside local law enforcement.
- The Occupational and Environmental Safety Office responds to emergencies on University and Health System property that involve chemical, biological, radiological, natural gas, and fire hazards. OESO supplements hazardous material and fire responses from local fire departments.
- The Office of Student Affairs and DukeReach respond to assist Duke students after an emergency. Arranging counseling, relocating students, and helping with post-emergency academic concerns are some of the services provided by these offices.
- The Personal Assistance Service responds to assist Duke faculty and staff after an emergency. In particular, PAS can help with arranging counseling and working with human resources to modify work arrangements as needed.
- Duke Facilities Management and Duke Health Engineering and Operations respond to emergencies affecting Duke-owned property to arrange repairs and ensure facilities are returned to normal functioning.
- Numerous other Duke departments and teams assist with emergency response as needed based on the nature of the emergency and their area of expertise.