Duke Emergency Management strives to create an institution that will be ready to overcome critical incidents and emergency situations while continuing to provide world-class education, research, and patient care. Using a comprehensive Emergency Management and Mission Continuity Program focused on mitigation, planning, preparedness, response, and recovery, we are working to build a culture of readiness and resilience.
"A resilient university”
Emergencies that may impact Duke represent a wide range of hazards and may be unpredictable. Our goals are to:
- Ensure that the potential impacts of known hazards are mitigated as best as possible prior to an emergency occurring.
- Ensure plans and assets are in place to effectively respond to emergencies on campus.
- Ensure timely warning and response to emergencies impacting the health and safety of the Duke community.
- Ensure continuity of Duke’s mission and critical operations during and after an emergency.
- Ensure effective and efficient recovery after an emergency.
- Partner with external and internal stakeholders to improve communication and build expertise and readiness for emergency response and recovery.
- Build a culture of readiness and resiliency across Duke.